Prior to founding Top Tier Leadership, Rita Craig was a human resources executive for twenty-three years with a Fortune 500 Company. In 1999, Rita’s impressive HR skills were recognized by Governor Jeb Bush, when he appointed her to serve a four-year term on the Florida Commission on Human Relations. Following that, Rita was one of 14 leaders appointed by Governor Charlie Crist to serve on the Century Commission, a department that is fundamental in the new concepts and visions of Florida’s future. In 2000, HR Florida voted Rita as the top HR professional within the state of Florida. South Florida Business Journal also recognized her as one of the top HR professionals in South Florida.
Rita’s corporate career was rocking. Yet, she wanted to venture out and start her own company. From Day 1 in her new business, she had all the business she could handle and never looked back. Her approach to success as a solopreneur is straightforward. Listen as Rita shares how she went from corporate executive to consulting success.
Specifically, in this episode you will learn:
- Why leaving your job can take time
- How to make the decision to leave your job
- How to find your confidence when you’re considering job or career transition
- That whether you’re an employee or an entrepreneur, you’re being paid for the same thing
- To become involved in a niche community and make the right connections
- Why establishing your network is the key to your success as a consultant
- Rita’s best advice regarding getting clients that has kept her booked for more than ten years
- How Rita deals with staffing issues in her business
- Advice from a successful consultant on what she would do if she was starting her consulting career now
- No matter how busy you are, the wisdom of putting family first
- Why “Leadership” is important for a solopreneur
In the end, it’s not the years in your life that count, it’s the life in your years. -Abraham Lincoln
Your personal brand is what people say about you when you’re not in the room. -Jeff Bezos
Links and resources mentioned in this episode:
- Rita’s Website: www.TopTierLeadership.com
- Book: The Leadership Challenge: How to Make Extraordinary Things Happen in Organizations by Jim Kouzes and Barry Posner
Thanks for listening to this episode.
Thanks again for listening to the show. If you learned anything of value, please share it using the social media buttons on this page. Also, any reviews you post on iTunes are extremely appreciated. Downloads and reviews are the fuel that keeps this podcast going. To post a review please click here, and then click on “View in iTunes.” When your iTune software or app opens, click on “Ratings and Reviews.”
Thanks so much for taking the time. If you have any questions about this or any other podcast, please email me.