IGN-3 Dr. Helen Turnbull: How Your Unconscious Biases Affect Your Career, Your Relationships & Your Health
My guest on Episode 4 is Dr. Helen Turnbull. Dr. Turnbull is a thought leader on inclusion and diversity. She is also the recognized expert on Unconscious Bias. We discuss how unconscious biases affect the behaviors that impact our relationships and our health and how we perform at work.
In May 2013 she delivered a TEDx talk entitled, “The Illusion of Inclusion.” It will certainly have you thinking about your own biases.
Dr. Turnbull speaks all over the world for impressive clients that include Texas Instruments, JP Morgan Chase, Microsoft, Xerox, Miller Coors Brewing and Citigroup. She has earned the Certified Speaking Professional designation from the National Speakers Association, a designation that has been earned by less than 8% of the world’s professional speakers.
Specifically, in this episode you will learn:
- What unconscious biases are and how they affect our thinking and decisions
- Why we all have unconscious biases
- How the stories in our heads affect our actions
- Why biases, risk aversion, and fear prevent people from taking the entrepreneurial leap
- How to recognize and harness Inattentional Deafness
- To recognize the consistent messages you are telling yourself and how ignoring them is a source of unhappiness
- The three things you need in life to be happy
- The one thing that will get you through the rough spots in your career
- How ignoring your feelings compromises your health and happiness
- The unconscious biases in the American healthcare system that determine the quality of care for people of different races and ethnicities
- Why we expect people to conform to our level of thinking
- How to keep our biases from hampering our decisions
- That the first sign of having unconscious biases is when you believe you don’t have any
Socrates said, “The unexamined life is not worth living.” I believe that the unchallenged brain is not worth trusting. -Dr. Helen Turnbull
Links and resources mentioned in this episode:
Unconscious Bias – Blind Spots: An Interview on Unconscious Bias by Dr. Helen Turnbull
“Privilege Power and Difference” by Allan Johnson
“Microaggressions in Everyday Life: Race, Gender, and Sexual Orientation” by Derald Wing Sue
Links to Articles by Dr. Turnbull:
Part I http://www.diversityjournal.com/12716-illusion-inclusion/
Part II http://www.diversityjournal.com/13318-illusion-inclusion-part-ii/
Part III http://www.diversityjournal.com/13763-affinity-bias-conundrum-illusion-inclusion-part-iii/
Part IV http://www.diversityjournal.com/13988-assimilation-hidden-plain-sight/
Thanks for listening to this episode.
Thanks again for listening to the show. If you learned anything of value, please share it using the social media buttons on this page. Also, any reviews you post on iTunes are extremely appreciated. Downloads and reviews are the fuel that keeps this podcast going. To post a review please click here, and then click on “View in iTunes.” When your iTune software or app opens, click on “Ratings and Reviews.”
Thanks so much for taking the time. If you have any questions about this or any other podcast, please email me.